Dial-Up to Broadband Changeover

Border View 22:26 02 Aug 04

I currently use Lineone/Tiscali Dial-up and pay them and BT for the privilege. Have decided to go with Pipex broadband but have seen in a couple of places that it takes about a week to activate your broadband connection. In addition I must give Lineone/Tiscali a months notice.

Two questions:

(a) Will I still have to pay BT for my Surf Line
(b) Will I be able to run the two systems in parallel until my broadband connection is activated?

Your advice would be appreciated.

Smegs 22:41 02 Aug 04

A), No, you will just pay Pipex.

B), Yes, as you will have to have Filters plugged into your phone sockets.

Smegs 22:43 02 Aug 04

Sorry, you won't be able to run them together. It will need to be activated first.

Is that what you mean??

Border View 22:51 02 Aug 04

I wondered about when I install the ADSL modem and am waiting for the line (I've only got one) to be activated will I still be able to use my dial up? Sorry I should have made it more clear.

Smegs 23:02 02 Aug 04

Don't install BB untill you get a email, saying it been activated. Or you should.

You don't need two lines. BT lines are now set up to run BB, along side your phone line. All you will need, is these filters. I take it, that Pipex give you some filters?

All you do then, is take your phone jack plug out of the phone socket, plug the filter into the phone socket, then plug the phone jack into the filter. You will need a filter on ALL phone sockets, that have a phone connected to them.

Border View 23:07 02 Aug 04

Many thanks Smegs for clarifying this for me. Will let you know how I get on.

Border View 23:08 02 Aug 04

Many thanks Smegs for clarifying this for me. Will let you know how I get on.

Smegs 23:15 02 Aug 04

All the best and enjoy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…