dial up box appears on start up

numcy 15:26 31 Oct 03

I have an annoying problem in that whenever I start up or shut down the dial up box appears and takes many, many attempts to make it disappear.I have disabled all programmes that require internet connection to no avail, I have selected "never dial up" which works but is a pain when you require the box to appear! and I have checked the microsoft knowledge base. This recommends several things all of which I have tried and again no luck. I do not have zonealarm which I know can cause problems and I am running Win 98. Any suggestions please..........
Many thanks

BurrWalnut 16:17 31 Oct 03

It can only be a program looking for updates or new versions. Have a look at the Startup Tab in msconfig and the StartUp folder in Start, Programs, StartUp.

Then load each program and look for Tools, Preferences, Options or similar wording and check if an option is ticked for "look for updates" or similar. Also check if Windows is looking for updates in Scheduled Tasks, or is it called Windows Update (can't remember).

brittas 16:20 31 Oct 03

you might have a dialer - do a search using adaware6 click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…