dial -up box

crosskey 19:59 02 Feb 04

when I start my pc the ' connect to' dial up box appears and also when I load up Nero Ahead.How can I prevent this? My operating system is Me

Diodorus Siculus 21:21 02 Feb 04

A program is set to update automatically, or you may have some spyware. click here for
AdAware or click here for
SpybotS&D to remove spyware.

Check what programs are loading at startup; that way you may eliminate the one dialing.

gudgulf 21:29 02 Feb 04

Many programmes can try to access the internet--they may be trying to check for updates for example.I had this problem in Me ---and no matter what I stopped from running at start up in msconfig solved the problem.

I'm sure someone will post a better solution than this,but it works.From internet explorer ,select tools/internet options/connections and check "never dial a connection"
Then go to Start/network connections and right click on the icon for your ISP.Choose send to desktop to create a shortcut,then use this to dial.this will stop anything other than you initiating your connection

thisisnighthawk 21:30 02 Feb 04

if you right click the IE logo, then connections, and tick the box which says "never dial a connection"

gudgulf 21:31 02 Feb 04

Also agree with Diodorus Siculus, do check for spyware!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…