Dial-up on a BB enabled 'phone line

smokingbeagle 12:47 14 May 05

While setting up an oldish PC for use on dial-up by a friend, I get the error message 'no dial tone'. I have installed and tried different modems on different PCs and checked the obvious - driver, seating, cable, filter, config of modem etc but still the same message 'no dial tone'. No problems using the 'phone. Has anyone on BB experienced this? I had always planned to use dial-up in the event of my BB connection failing but this does not seem possible on my line. Has anyone got around this apparent line problem? And how?

Magik ®© 12:54 14 May 05

Just done the same thing, using an old compaq running win95,as a spare, have you fitted a filter, because mine would not work till i put one on the line..

smokingbeagle 13:13 14 May 05

Tried with and without filter.

Magik ®© 13:24 14 May 05

ok, I will give it one more go :-) on the back of mine there are two phone outlets, you got yours in the right one..........

smokingbeagle 13:28 14 May 05

Yep.

dewskit 13:47 14 May 05

Are you connected to BT Yahoo Broadband?

If so, there should be an on-line diagnostics Icon (BT Yahoo help)

I have experienced this problem in the psst. Can be down to BT having problems - check the Status Line on Freephone 0800 169 0199.

Otherwise check every plug is firmly pushed home from the incoming phone socket right through to the point at which it connects to the computer. I find the small plug on the junction of th modem connector cable can sometimes become loose.

smokingbeagle 13:52 14 May 05

My exchange isn't mentioned on the BB status line. I'm with Eclipse. I've tried different cables and checked proper connection each time. Still 'no dial tone'.

woodchip 14:01 14 May 05

It's nothing to do with BB, for Dial-Up it's just the same BB or no BB. You should first check that the Modem is set for the Com port that it should run on. It will only run on the one that it's made to run on, unless there are jumpers on the Modem for changing the IRQ and COM port. Also call minder as got to be disabled or you will get No Dial Tone. Ring BT to see if this is setup on your phone line and how do disable it

smokingbeagle 16:24 14 May 05

^

bof:) 16:51 14 May 05

Hi smokingbeagle, I've also come across this and the problem was found to be that the pc was too far away from where the phone socket into the house was. The length of the phone extension cable was too long for the signal. (sorry not up on the technical whys and where's of this)

We found if the pc was in the office (spare bedroom) we could not get a dial tone with or without the filter.

But, when we set up the PC by the phone socket in the hallway we got a signal and connected to the net everytime.

The solution was for friend to have a 2nd phone socket installed for the office.

Mike

woodchip 16:57 14 May 05

That's not it As I have BB on the end of a home made Extention 130ft long and Dial-Up works from phone side of that extention

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac