dial up appears midway through start up

numcy 17:18 24 May 03

Hi all. On start up my pc displays the dial up connection box mid way through. I have to cancel/close the box and then the remaining items load. Very annoying and puzzling. Any suggestions gratefully recieved. I am running windows 98 and no, I dont have zone alarm!
Many thanks in advance.

MartinT-B 17:21 24 May 03

something else wants to auto-connect

Could be one of many things

Check Live Update if you have Anti-virus

Check Email

Check Windows Update

failing those obvious one, Check your firewall and see what programs have access and change them all to "have to ask Permission before connecting". Your firewall should then tell you the program that wants to connect.

Gaz 25 17:24 24 May 03

Try click here

and run the program then remove anything it finds.

Also click here

Then if that does not work, if you have a network, select it to never dial an internet connection in Internet Explorers connections settings.

If that does not solve, get Zonealarm and see what is trying to access the internet. click here

If all dont work, make sure you have anti-virus and it is up-to-date: click here there is free Anti-virus many of us on here use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…