Dial-up annoyances

drew645 03:57 09 Oct 03

Hope someone can help me out. I have just done a clean install of XP (took forever with all the other software!) and now when I connect to the internet there is no icon in the systray. A message comes up "do you wish to work offline or reconnect?" even though I am online and can surf freely.
Also there is no sound when I'm dialling up, for some reason I feel happier when I hear it connecting.
I have tried re-installing my dial-up software but it made no difference. I use Tesco as my ISP,
it uses Rydial software. Ad-aware picked up Data miner on the dialler, but the problem persists whether I remove it or not. There was no problem when I used the same dialler on Windows 98SE.
Maybe a bit trivial but I find it really annoying.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Regards,
Andrew

drew645 05:24 09 Oct 03

Hang on, I've tried re-installing modem and all above problems solved except still no icon in systray.
Cheers
Andrew

christmascracker 07:10 09 Oct 03

Network connections, right click your connection, go to properties and put a tick in the box "show icon in notification area when connected"

drew645 15:36 09 Oct 03

Thanks Christmascracker, I've taken your advice and have fixed the problem. Regards, Andrew

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…