Dial Up

Woodie29 14:47 14 Mar 05

When trying to connect to the internet via adsl from plusnet I get the error message 'no dial tone' I have checked that all the splitters are in the right place that the modem is not faulty etc and there is a dial tone and still the same message - can anyone help ?

MichelleC 16:07 14 Mar 05

There should be an option in modem settings to dial without waiting for dial tone.

pc moron 16:10 14 Mar 05

If you can, plug the modem directly into the BT master socket and unplug everything else on the line. Does it work now?

Chegs ® 16:26 14 Mar 05

I'm maybe wrong,but ADSL is a "signal" on the line,not a dialup arrangement.There would be only ADSL signal or none,not a "dial tone"

Therefore,I would be checking IE options for "Never dial a connection"

woodchip 16:29 14 Mar 05

Sound like the Modem is Miss-configured

ruthcruet 01:20 17 Mar 05

Hi Woodchip, just been going through the messages, and came across your's. At present I am having to use my old Win 98, as my XP had some problems a few month's ago and had to have it re-installed. Since then I have been unable to dial-up on my ISP, I comes up with the error message- no modem. The computer was working fine before the problems that made me have to re-install.So could it be what you told Chegs, if so what does'Miscofig mean? I am very new to computers so am not upto date with the terminology

Graham ® 08:58 17 Mar 05

Is the modem 'synching'? You should have a power light on steady, then the ADSL light should flash then remain steady after a few seconds.

Graham ® 09:04 17 Mar 05

Have you re-installed the modem? Check the status in Device Manager.

The PC may be trying to use your old dial-up modem, which may be disconnected.

The 'No dial tone' message is also common to ADSL, as Windows doesn't have a 'No ADSL' message.

Woodie29 09:25 17 Mar 05

The Problem remains the same on 3 different routers all have been installed uninstalled and reinstalled - I have checked and the config is exactly the same as on my other pc that works fine in a different house - so with the new netgear router I have got a message that says dsl carrier down - having spoken to my isp they are going to carry out tests on the line between the house and the exchange to see if that is the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…