Diagnostics software

croydon 15:17 10 Mar 04

Can anyone recommend any diagnostics software that can I can run to determine why my pc is running slowly?

In the WinXP Windows Task manager I notice alot of background processes and I don't know what most are.

I thought the pc (although it's only a year old) was getting a bit sluggish, and it came to a head this week when I installed AOL Broadband, which doesn't seem much faster than dial-up.

I have run AdAware to get rid of any unwanted spyfiles but before I go back to the AOL Helpdesk again I want to make sure that the PC itself is not at fault.

christmascracker 15:19 10 Mar 04
  Proxy Worm 15:22 10 Mar 04

Try click here, it will give an idea of whats slowing your pc.

BurrWalnut 15:37 10 Mar 04

You could also try this :-

Download HijackThis from here click here and the interpretation tutorial from here
click here

Double click HijackThis to unzip it then run it, click Scan, Save the results to a log file and check them against the tutorial.

Also download startups.exe from here click here to determine which programs are not needed at start up.

When you've decided what needs to be deleted, run HijackThis again, put a check mark against the items you don't want and click Fix Checked.

ianeon 15:41 10 Mar 04

You could try these two free progs. "startupmechanic" form click here and "regseeker" from click here

croydon 11:33 13 Mar 04

Thanks for the suggestions. PC Pitstop is interesting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…