diagnosis for a dead laptop

mco 12:13 04 Dec 05

I was working on my laptop on the battery when a battery low message came up - plugged it into the mains; carried on working, then popped into the kitchen for a minute and when I came back it was dead.. I can't get a light when I press the 'on' button, nor is there a light on the laptop front showing it's running off the mains. Yes, I've checked the mains socket works and I've replaced the fuse in the plug - but now I'm out of ideas. Is there anything else obvious I can try? (Don't have spare battery and other one had just run out) Or do I have to accept something major's blown and I have to get it fixed?

Freddog™ 12:16 04 Dec 05

Mines gone too!

mco 12:18 04 Dec 05

!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:10 04 Dec 05

1ST Try powering off mains with battery completely disconnected.

Your ac adpater failed or socket in rear of laptop failed are most likely causes

Your AC adaptor will tell you the DC output voltage usually 18V

This should be present across the DC jack plug that plugs into the back of the PC (inner to outer core on plug. No voltage then adaptor failed)

mco 14:19 04 Dec 05

I've taken the battery out - still no lights or joy..

mco 14:40 04 Dec 05

When I put the battery back in, I got thirty seconds of renewed charge (it had run down before) - enough for me to discover from the lights that a) the laptop is fine and b) there's still no light to show it's running off mains when I tried - so -it is something to do with the adaptor - will try with a different adaptor next. Will tick resolved in the meantime.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…