Diagnosing problems with backups to ext.hd

frybluff 22:13 PM 27 Jun 12

I am running Acronis TI on my Dell XPS. As I have a second internal hard drive, I tend to alternate backups with that, and an ext HD, a 500GB USB3.0 Toshiba.

Backups to my internal drive appear to be 100% reliable, but I am getting about a 25% failure rate (corrupted) on my Toshiba. A hardware scan, by my Dell "reckons" the Toshiba is OK.

Is there anything I can do to track this down? Despite the hardware scan, I tend to suspect the reliability of the Toshiba, which is under warranty, but can hardly send it back, without something to prove that.

rdave13 22:22 PM 27 Jun 12

For some reasons, re-badged Toshiba HDDs seem to be not that good. I've replaced three Toshiba HDDs in three laptops in a matter of months. I have no confidence in their particular hard drive suppliers at the moment or even two years ago. Pity really as Toshiba are a quality 'make' usually.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites