di7 Image recovery Re-boot HELP plse

Danoh 18:01 23 Oct 05

I've recovered my XP Home C: drive using a Drive Image 7 image, split into CD-sized chunks (650Mb) by booting from the DI7 CD.

All appears well until I try to reboot the PC without the di7 CD inserted. I get a "PRESS A KEY TO BOOT" messgae on a black DOS screen immediately after the BIOS loads. When I do press a key, Windows does not boot and I get looped round to BIOS POST and the same "PRESS A KEY TO BOOT" message.

If I reinsert the di7 CD and reboot, all is fine and Windows starts up as normal. Without the di7 CD, I just get the "PRESS A KEY TO BOOT" situaton.

Any ideas/suggestions welcome.
Many thanks in anticipation.

VoG II 18:14 23 Oct 05

Presumably to do this you changed the boot order to CD first in the BIOS. If so, have you tried setting it back to hard drive first?

Danoh 18:45 23 Oct 05

VoG; yes, floppy, then HDD, then CD still gives the same result.

I had specified that the recovered C: drive should be a bootable drive and it does show up as the only System drive in XP's Disk Management utility.

woodchip 19:00 23 Oct 05

Check boot.ini in Windows Explorer, it should look like this. If it's any different you can replace it with this one.

[boot loader]

timeout=20

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

woodchip 19:01 23 Oct 05

PS boot.ini is in the root of C:
You have to open it in Notepad to do the above

Danoh 20:04 23 Oct 05

The only difference is timeout=30 and there is a line break between WINDOWS and [operating systems]. I got rid of the linebreak and even tried unticking "read only" attribute for the file. No change.

Wonder why having the di7 bootable CD inserted enables bootup but when it is absent, it forces a REBOOT.

Danoh 20:13 23 Oct 05

I have multipled partitions on 2 HDDs & I'd noticed that the drive lettering has been changed with the CD drives now D: rather then Drive L: when the DI7 image being restored was backed up.

I'm grasping at straws now, obviously! :)

woodchip 20:18 23 Oct 05

I looks like you need to run FIXMBR after starting from XP cd

Danoh 20:31 23 Oct 05

di7 has an option to restore the MBR and original disk signature which I did not tick ~ will try and recover from the backed up image again.

In case of other Windows systems files being corrupted, I had put the XP CD in to run SFC/scannow. But that seems to have created 2 Windows installations after I reboot with the di7 CD in place. Chosing the later default installation gives me a very quick msg which I failed to read completely, but was something like "Windows failed to start .. corrupt.... ". The msg was shown so very briefly before the BIOS boot screens obliterated the message.

The di7 image restore is running again with MBR restore as well this time.

Many thanks for continuing to post so helpfully ~ much appreciated.

Danoh 20:55 23 Oct 05

Still no go... Getting the "ANY KEY TO REBOOT" message again when the di7 CD is not inserted.

The drives still have different letter-orders to the original setup, with the CD & DVD drives insisting on being drives D and E immediately after C:.

I wonder if anyone might have had issues recovering from a di7 image split into separate 650mb chunks instead of just 1 5-8Gb file?

Chegs ® 23:54 23 Oct 05

I wonder,try a 98se boot floppy,then FDISK /MBR(not certain of the correct switch,it could be \ this way)as it looks like the DI software is altering the MBR and Recovery Consoles not fixing it.

A long time ago,I tried using spanned CD's created by the imaging app,and could never get them to recover without a lot of CD swapping,1st CD,last CD created,then 1st,then last,several times before it finally set off and recovered the full image.As it often took longer to use this method than to clean install from scratch,I gave up and created the full Gbs image then chopped it up with a 3rd party app.Then all I had to do was load an OS,and run the "Batch file" the splitter created to stitch these chunks back together,then run the recovery app to restore it all.Then I got DI2002,and created its recovery floppies,it has served me well,recognising NTFS,USB/SATA HD's,with the only inconvenience being the floppys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…