DHCP vrs manually assigning

keewaa 14:40 04 Feb 06

Just clarifying the difference.

If I choose between DHCP or manually assigning, is the only difference that DHCP assigns the 4 settings automatically to each PC on the network, whereas manually they have to be input on each PC :

IP address of each PC
subnet mask
default gateway
DNS server

Or does DHCP do more than simply these 4 settings on each PC ?

mgmcc 15:18 04 Feb 06

As far as I'm aware, the "client" only gets those four addresses from the DHCP server, although Windows Internet Connection Sharing can be temperamental if the "client" is manually configured instead of being left to its own devices ;)

With a router, you can often set the DHCP pool and then give a "client" a fixed address outside the pool. With ICS, you cannot set the range of addresses that the host can allocate, so any fixed address is still within the ICS range.

keewaa 15:48 04 Feb 06

So if I give a client a fixed address outside the pool, the router will detect that client having that IP, but it won't cause any problems with the rest of the PCs set up to receive by DHCP from the router, nor will the router try to change or interfere with the manually assigned IP, as long as it's outside the pool.

mgmcc 17:25 04 Feb 06

Correct, although obviously it still needs to be in the same overall range as the router and other PCs in the network.

keewaa 18:06 04 Feb 06

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5