DHCP server refuses to turn off on Belkin F5D7633

Tain 15:45 15 Aug 06

DHCP server remains on on my Belkin F5D7633 even when i loginto the router and tell it to turn off. It says restart, but when restarted the router displays the DHCP server as on.

This is causing me right headaches as I can't run any game servers or use a torrent until this is off? Anyone got any ideas?

recap 16:03 15 Aug 06

Don't know if this will help, but if you are using XP, go to Administrative Tools/Services and turn it off from here.

ade.h 16:09 15 Aug 06

It needs to be turned off at both the host and the clients, recap, but your comment has made me wonder whether the router is responding in some way to the inevitable DHCP requests that will occur while the DHCP Client service is running on one or more clients by switching the DHCP server back on.

BigMoFoT 12:51 25 Aug 06

Your network card on your client (presumably meaning a PC or laptop) to automatically configure then if your router has DHCP activated then it will issue an IP address that is specified within it's range. IF you are turning DHCP off on your router then no ip addresses will be broadcast and your client will be issued a random meaningless IP address by the O/S.

Check your client IP AFTER you turn DHCP off and if it has an IP within the range of your router 192.168.1.4 for example then DHCP is still on. IF it has an IP of 169.254.68 for example then that is windows generating a random IP and your DHCP is in fact turned off.

FelixTCat 14:17 25 Aug 06

Tain,

With some routers you have to specifically tell them to save settings after you have changed them - it isn't automatic. If you don't, the change is lost on a reboot.

Regards,

Felix

ade.h 14:40 25 Aug 06

Belkins just require you to click Apply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…