DHCP loses IP addresses on D-Link Wireless Router

paranomia 17:43 17 Oct 04

Hi all - this one is driving me nuts!!

Setup as follows ==>
Broadband TA into 4 way router - two desktops and printer on cat5e - feed into CentreCom 8 way switch to ports all around the house (hell I was doing a full mains rewire so I thought I would install a network as well whilst the floorboards were up!)

All was well until I replaced the router with a D-Link DI-524 wireless router. The wired connections were reconnected and the laptops had wireless cards installed. The problem is that now and again the 'connection is restricted or unusable' message (or similar) is seen and when the connection is repaired it is unable to gain a new IP address. I have tried a firmware upgrade on the router which seemed to work for a while but the same problem has just appeared.

Sorry for the long post but I am fast running out of ideas! Thanks for any help...

spikeychris 18:14 17 Oct 04

"The problem is that now and again" Does this happen mainly at a reboot or startup? I had the same problem, I used to have to disable the LAN the re-enable until I installed service pack 2 and that fixed it.

If you're not using XP then the full error message would make it easier to diagnose.

paranomia 18:29 17 Oct 04

That is the problem, there is no obvious trigger. I will be using one of the laptops when I will get a page unavailable message on IE then the balloon message from the wireless connection manager giving the limited or no connectivity message. The two desktops are running Win98, both laptops are XP-SP2. I have not had the problem when using the desktops on the wired lan.

paranomia 21:47 06 Nov 04

Thanks for your help spikeychris, faulty router in the end, swapped for a netgear - problem solved!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…