DHCP Client locks up my PC

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:38 29 Aug 05

Can't get old PC (athlon 1.2 K7S5a 512mb XP pro) to connect via wireless or cross over cable.

Used Black Viper click here to check for correct services, found DHCP client disabled,

Reset all services to default values.

On reboot gets to Welcome screen and corsor freezes no response from keyboard.

Booted to safe mode and disabled DHCP boots to windows ok but of course cannot connect to New PC.

Any ideas all help appreciated

mgmcc 19:53 29 Aug 05

If DHCP is causing a problem, can you not configure the network with fixed IP addresses?

Newuser4165 10:32 01 Sep 05

This motherboard isn't supported in Win XP - perhaps that's the problem.

Bye the way can you get the onboard sound to work?

Newuser4165 11:19 01 Sep 05

Further to my above post - have alook at this link:-click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:10 01 Sep 05

Please tell me how?

Newuser4165
No problem with any drivers on on board sound OK, No onborad LAN, Network card is Asound 10/100

recap 19:41 01 Sep 05

To configure your network to obtain a fixed IP address:

Go to Start/Settings/Network and Dial-up Connections, right click Local Area Connection, choose Properties/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) then Properties again, check the tick box for "Obtain an IP Address Automatically"

This will then automatically take the DHCP settings of your ISP.

Also make sure the firewall is disabled before you try to connect. Once everything is connected enable the firewall.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:35 01 Sep 05

have this set on both PCs old one has firewall uninstalled

However Its the DHCP thats causing a problem .The machine is freezing on the welcome screen unless I boot to safe mode and disable DHCP in services

recap 13:38 03 Sep 05

Try uninstalling the network card and doing a hard reboot of the system. Windows will detect the card and reinstall all the necessary drivers. This will refresh all the NIC settings.

To uninstall open Control Panel/System/Device Manager right click the device and select uninstall.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:17 03 Sep 05

Uninstalled / rebooted / reinstalled / re-enbled DHCP

Tries to aquire network address then gives me error limited connectivity.

Again locks up on welecome screen when rebooted.

recap 14:29 03 Sep 05

What (if any) error messages are created in the event viewer for this problem?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:38 03 Sep 05

Can't get into windows from welcome screen when locks up.

Errors now showing in Event manager pupport to when running in safe mode. Only thing I get is warning RASMAN failed to start because NDISwan could not be opened.

Means absolutely nothing to me :0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…