DHCP Client List

hardtofind 17:03 10 Oct 07

I have a Belkin Wi Fi modem/router.
I was running through the settings when I had a look at the DHCP client list. There are three entries, two of which I recognise, as one is the desktop and the other my wife's laptop.
The third entry I have no idea about. It has a separate IP address, Host Name and MAC address.Without putting all those details on here can anyone tell me if it is normal to have another entry. We only have two computers as described above.
I can give the details if necessary.

Ashrich 17:19 10 Oct 07

What is the MAC address of the Belkin ? Anyway , try revoking it and see what happens ...

Ashley

hardtofind 17:25 10 Oct 07

Do you need the MAC address of the entry I don't recognise?
How do I revoke it? I can't highlight the entry.

Ashrich 17:33 10 Oct 07

Just going to have a look through the Belkin pdf's that I have , back in a moment ....

Ashley

Ashrich 17:40 10 Oct 07

What happens if you click on refresh , is it still there ?

Ashley

hardtofind 17:41 10 Oct 07

Thanks Ashley.
Just going to have my tea but will check back in a little while.

hardtofind 17:42 10 Oct 07

Sorry, our posts crossed. Yes, it's still there after refresh.

Ashrich 17:49 10 Oct 07

Ok , when you come back , copy the MAC addresses of your PC and your wife's laptop in to the MAC address filter and " add " each one , then see about changing the security key ( WEP or preferably WPA or WPA2 )to something different just in case yours has been breeched , apply all changes and don't forget to change the connection details on the laptop as well . Enjoy your tea !!.

Ashley

hardtofind 19:08 10 Oct 07

Ashley
Thanks very much for your research and help. I have managed to put both our computers onto the MAC filtering list. I already have WPA enabled. Do I just change the password in the pre shared key box and then 'apply changes'? Also I'm not sure how to change the details on my wife's laptop. Could you enlighten me please.
I did enjoy my tea thankyou. Hasn't improved my brainpower though!

Ashrich 19:22 10 Oct 07

Yes , just change the password , and apply , as for your wife's laptop , double click on the wireless network symbol ( single monitor on task bar ) view wireless networks , then on the left " manage wireless networks " find your old one on the list and delete it , then rescan , find your network and when it asks , put in the new key . Going for my dinner now , back later ...

Ashley

hardtofind 19:29 10 Oct 07

Thanks for that.
Just as a matter of interest have you any idea how that other entry might have got there? The IP address is consecutive to the other two. Also is there any way of identifying that computer.
Hope you enjoyed your dinner.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…