DG834G v2, Tiscali - Wireless signal dropping

georgemac © 19:20 05 Nov 06

Have searched for similar problems with no joy.

PC connected to DG834G by network cable. 2 x laptops and 1 x PC connected wirelessly - WEP enabled - USB netgear WG121 adapter used. Connected to Tiscali 1 MEG service - all working fine, never any connection problems.

Come back from holiday, power up amd both laptops and the wireless PC are continually losing the wireless network connection, then reconnecting, all connections managed by XP. No problem with the internet connection on the wired PC. Checked the connection status on the router, all showing no problems for WAN/LAN/WLAN but notice I have a faster connection now - it is up to 5120/488 kbps. I registered interest in upgrading my speed but have not requested this. This is the only thing that seems to have changed.

I have downgraded the router firware from 3.01.25 to 2.10.22 but the problem is still there. I am using channel 11, and there is only 1 other wireless network I pick up around our house, also a secure Netgear network. I have never had any problem with interferance, and even with the laptop sat next to the router the same thing happens.

I am at a loss to see why this problem has occurred, and have searched for utilities to monitor the wireless transmission strength with no joy.

Any suggestions?

georgemac © 20:03 05 Nov 06

Been searching the net and have changed the channel from 11 to 3 - made no difference but have now changed to channel 9 and it appears to be OK for the time being.

georgemac © 10:36 06 Nov 06

the channel change seems to have done the trick.

oldbeefer2 10:38 06 Nov 06

I recently upgraded to the BT MAX service through my ISP. Getting frequent disconnections at the moment, but have been told this is not unusual as the rate adaptive technology monitors the line to work out the fastest stable speed that can be acheived. Should sttle down in 10 days or so (allegedly!).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now