Devices to consider for mobile internet usage

rickus 13:46 05 Jan 07

Have just started to look into this, prompted by seeing a PSP in real life for the first time.

I know that a PSP is capable of a whole lot more but what I am looking for is something that I can use for internet access when away from home.

Are there are other similarly priced or cheaper devices that I should look into as well?

Thanks
Rick

Technotiger 14:11 05 Jan 07

Some mobile phones can have internet access, costs about £3 a month - or what about Internet Cafe use.

rickus 15:28 05 Jan 07

Thanks TT but those are not really what I am looking at - perhaps I should have put the word 'wireless' rather than 'mobile' in the title.

I will be going to several places where I can get free wi-fi access and would like to exploit that using a device that gives reasonably user-friendly internet access.

rickus 20:08 05 Jan 07

Any more thoughts anyone?

Technotiger 20:12 05 Jan 07

If you have a laptop, simply insert a wireless card, this will give you access to the many free wifi spots. You can also buy a little gadget that indicates when you are in range of a hotspot.

Technotiger 20:14 05 Jan 07

My partner has a Safecom Wireless LAN Cardbus PC Card inserted in her laptop - it cost just under £20.

Technotiger 20:17 05 Jan 07

ps - she also has the gadget I mentioned above, it has a series of LEDs' which light up when in range, the more that light up the stronger the signal.

rickus 20:29 05 Jan 07

I only have a desktop and cannot really justify a laptop. The PSP looks like a cheaper alternative for occasional use.

rickus 14:42 06 Jan 07

Bumpety bump.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…