Device\Harddisk0\D has a bad block

So Afraid 21:11 04 Jan 10

Had a few black screens today which required a shut down and then power up,in event viewer\system this was the error message.

Is the hard drive on its way out? 3 years old.

Input Overload 21:07 04 Jan 10

What operating system?

Woolwell 21:12 04 Jan 10

Have you run a chkdsk? Whatever you do now is the time to make sure that all of your data is backed up.

So Afraid 21:18 04 Jan 10

XP and no not done chkdsk,

Input Overload you answerd before i posted looking at the time.

woodchip 21:22 04 Jan 10

Right click the Drive\Properties/Tools Check Disc tick the box to fix errors do a full scan

woodchip 21:23 04 Jan 10

Have you been having bad shut downs? Where you turned the power off to stop windows

So Afraid 21:36 04 Jan 10

No i just press the power button for 4 seconds to shut down,it was the only way to stop the black screen,then power up again.

I will do the check disk.

Strawballs 22:25 04 Jan 10

Shutting down in that way sometimes causes this problem thw way to go is as suggested,if possible copy data to another source then do chkdsk if trouble booting one way to access data is by downloading and running from disc Ubuntu OS, I have done this a few times in the past, it will also tell if the hard drive is OK apart from the bad sector.

So Afraid 10:34 05 Jan 10

Chkdsk recoverd a bus load of orphaned files and the last part of the check 5 of 5 said something about bad clusters,dont know if this is a symptom or cause of the problem.
Event viewer now showing all ok for now,did not install\uninstall any programs etc so any clues why this should happen?

woodchip 11:11 05 Jan 10

Yes not shutting computer down correctly, plus its a good Idea to run check disc once a week

woodchip 11:12 05 Jan 10

If you run the computer after a bad shut down without running check disc the problem just gets worse

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009