Device Manager - Warnings

Dazed&Confused 16:54 03 Oct 06

I'm setting up my new pc and have a number of warnings/exclaimation marks showing in device manager.

I can't get any sound from the speakers, I am getting system sounds but no music. Everything else seems to be working.

The following are showing warnings:

In other devices: Other PCI bridge device, PCI Device, SM Bus Controller, Video COntroller (VGA Compatible)

In USB controllers: Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller

I only have 2 things connected via USB: bt hub/router and the speakers

I have no idea what the other devices that are showing warnings are

jimv7 17:01 03 Oct 06

Try installing the motherboard drivers.

Dazed&Confused 20:58 03 Oct 06

I've installed everything I can from the motherboard disc but still have the following 2 warnings showing:

PCI Device & Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller

I couldn't install the PCI from the driver disc as it said I needed xp service pack 1 and I don't have that. I tried windows update but that didn't help

Harpur 21:27 03 Oct 06

get a copy of sp2 from microsoft and see if it helps. they will post out a cd for small charge

beynac 21:31 03 Oct 06

If you are running an unpatched version of XP, it is very likely that your computer is infected with malware. I suggest that you update to SP1a immediately: click here

I also suggest that you download HijackThis from: click here Double-click on this to install the program. This will create a folder, 'C:\HijackThis', extract the program into that folder and then open the folder for you. It will also create a shortcut on your desktop.

Open HijackThis and click on 'Do a system scan and save a logfile'. Copy the log and post it on the Malware Removal forum website: click here

An expert will then either confirm that your computer is clean, or help you to get it clean.

Do NOT update to SP2 until you know that you are clean, as installing this on an infected machine can cause serious problems.

beynac 21:41 03 Oct 06

only applies if you have connected to the internet with your new PC. If not, then you will be OK to update to SP2 as Harpur suggests.

click here

Dazed&Confused 06:09 04 Oct 06

Beynac - I tried the sp1a link but my anti-virus blocked it saying it was malware and contained the zulu worm virus. Is there anywhere else I can get sp1?

Harpur 08:26 04 Oct 06

if you get sp2 you don't need sp1. ask microsoft for a copy.

click here

Dazed&Confused 13:23 28 Oct 06

I've bought some new speakers that are not connect via the usb port but I still have the error message and the speakers still won't work. I've got sp2 now as well. This is driving me mad.

If I re-installed windows 98 and then upgraded to xp would that help? Only asking as a friend of mine recently upgraded from 2000 to xp and had no problems, i.e. everything still worked, whereas I installed my xp direct onto a blank pc.

LimestoneRock 15:43 28 Oct 06

I think you still merely have a driver problem. If you have now loaded SP2 and that has not cured the problem totally, try going to Device Manager and updating the drivers for the items with the yellow exclamation marks. Make sure also that you have given the updater access to the internet.

Another thought - did you receive an installation disc for the USB speakers? Also,the "PCI device" may relate to an internal dial up modem which requires driver installed.

Dazed&Confused 05:47 29 Oct 06

The new speakers do not have a USB connection and there was no disc with them, box states they are plug & play. The original speakers which came with the pc were the USB ones. Only USB device that is attached is my router and that's working ok.

I don't know what the pci device is so don't know where to look for a driver for it. I've tried updating the driver via device manager but with no success.

Can I install windows 98 onto the pc without uninstalling xp and losing whats on the hard drive or do I need to back up my files and uninstall xp first?

Having no sound is getting to be very frustrating.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now