Device manager problem

Head hurts 11:41 23 Sep 04

I have xp home with sp2. when i update drivers and go to device manager it does not list the new drivers if i try to update the driver via device manager it does not find the new driver or if the new driver is installed it does not list the new driver under the driver details. i have just updated the driver for my packard bell scanner, downloaded to e files then ran the set up which says it was successful but it still shows the old driver in device manager, this problem existed prior to sp2 so this will not be the problem. can anyone shed any light on what is going on, any advice much appreciated.

JonnyTub 11:57 23 Sep 04

have you tried uninstalling the old driver first then installing the new ones after a restart?

Head hurts 12:17 23 Sep 04

thanks for the advice but yes i have already tried this, the problem seems to be with any driver i update it is not recognised but it may be that the new driver is installed but for some reason is not registering with device manager

JonnyTub 12:26 23 Sep 04

You mention updating by device manager so i presume you right click on the device you want updated drivers for and click on update drivers?

Have you tried to uninstall the device as you say by device manager, restarted and then just clicked on the .exe file you have (presumably) downloaded instead of updating through device manager?

Head hurts 12:55 23 Sep 04

Again thanks for advice but yes I have tried this but for some reason device manager does not show the drivers as updated. the exe file when double clicked seems to load ok and says it has but in device manager there is no update and when i try to roll back there are not drivers which indicates that the new driver has perhaps not loaded. i have sent the new driver to a floppy and tried it this way but cannot load up via this way it just says files not there. the original driver was digitally signed by microsoft but the new driver is not is there some setting that only allows digitally signed drivers to load?

JonnyTub 12:59 23 Sep 04

unsigned driver will still load but you will get a message syaing do you want to continue, the driver should be ok if the documentation say's it will work on xp. signing is just a formality that microsoft seems to take it's time with. What device exactly are you trying to update?

Head hurts 18:45 23 Sep 04

trying to update driver to packard bell diamond 1200 plus scanner. have downloaded to my ebooks the new driver version 1.1 (the driver installed at moment is 1.0) i open the new exe file and it says it has updated my driver but when i view in device manager i still have driver version 1.0 installed if i try to load it manually ie specify the location of the new driver it will not find it. so am stumped.

Androcles 19:03 23 Sep 04

Don't know if this is any help at all but when I installed SP2 I didn't notice immediately that my driver for my Packard Bell 1200 scanner had disappeared.After I reinstalled the driver it still didn't work,I then cleared every trace of the driver from the computer via add/remove,then manually,then I
ran :-click here
CCleaner - Crap Cleaner software download after that I reinstalled the packard Bell software and it works OK.Regards.

norman47 19:46 23 Sep 04

Don't know if you have tried this.

System properties > hardware > driver signing.

You have three options for updating drivers.

1) ignore

2) warn

3) block

With a tick box at the bottom.Make this action the system default.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…