Device Manager - PCI mass storage device

Simon Fraser 14:44 24 Sep 03

I am trying to help a friend resolve problems on a Win ME PC. In Device Manager there is a yellow exclamation mark against PCI Mass Storage Device. Can anyone tell me what drivers require updating to clear this problem?

alcudia 16:00 24 Sep 03

Is there a PCI Mass Storage Device connected to the computer, or has there been.

Can't think what it could be though. These are usually USB.

woodchip 16:53 24 Sep 03

Could be a Memory card reader or camera a zip drive or what have you

woodchip 16:55 24 Sep 03

Thinking on it, it may be that in the bios he as got a item enabled for a Iomiga zip drive and as not got one

alcudia 16:58 24 Sep 03

Good point. I wonder if we're going to find out.

Simon Fraser 19:36 24 Sep 03

alcudia and woodchip,
Thank you for your interest. I had a further look at the machine and it has one HDD, which ME reports as 42.9 Gb. There is no entry under Disk Drives in Device Manager, so presumably this is the Mass Storage Device with a problem?

Can you advise me what the problem might be? I can not see the make of the drive without taking it out of the machine and I do not want to do this. Any ideas?

Gongoozler 20:16 24 Sep 03

Hi Simon. The entry in Device manager is referring to some storage device on the PCI bus. It could well be a PCI UDMA card such as might be used to enable a larger or faster hard drive to be used in an older computer, for example click here. If the 42.9 Gb hard drive is plugged into a PCI card, then that card could have the problem.

Seadog 20:57 24 Sep 03

I had exactly the same a couple of computers ago, the motherboard/bios is capable of running either ATA or UDMA hard drives. You probably have an ATA hard drive like I did which runs fine but for some reason the system still reports the "mass storage device" with an exclamation mark. I was told this by the shop I bought the m/b from and just lived with it.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…