Device Manager

highside 18:01 29 Jul 10

Can someone please tell me what is the point of 'Driver Update' in Windows Device Manager ?(Win 7 64 bit in my case)
It searches for later drivers and always says I have the latest available when I dont.
If I go to a manufactures site invariably there is a new version available.
Its easy to be led astray by Device Managers untrue attempts.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:25 29 Jul 10

Driver Update only refers to the "generic windows drivers" for you device.

john bunyan 18:45 29 Jul 10

In my case, sometimes the Network adapter does not seem to get recognised, and I get a red cross on the network icon. When I update drivers from those stored on the PC it makes it work. Goodness knows why.

birdface 18:51 29 Jul 10

Not sure if this is any good or not but free till 8am tomorrow.

click here

highside 09:50 01 Aug 10

Thanks for replies.
As a matter of interest my question was prompted due to the fact I could not download latest drivers from the manufactures site for my wireless network adaptor which would not switch on. After a very useful email chat with HP I found the adaptor (in the same comprtment as the RAM) has two connections to it one of which was not connected. Clipping this on made not only the wireless switch work but also the sliding volume control which was not working(either possibly an earth type fault as they are on the same panel. Bit worrying as this is on an in warranty laptop that had never been interfered with in anyway. Been like it from new but I just got around to looking into it after several weeks as the items are not things I normally use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5