device manager

trevpow 10:05 01 Oct 06

im having prob,s with external hard drive which as been working ok for over a year now,but when i connect it now windows just stop,s working, some time ago i fitted a usb 2 card with 4 port,s plus hub with 4 port,s, and in device manager i have this..ali pci to usb open host controller x 3..generic usb hub..,standard enhanced pci to usb host controller..ussb root hub x 6..via rev 5 or later usb universal host controller x 2 is this right ? any help would be great thank you.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:18 01 Oct 06

Your device managers settings look OK.

However best bet is to uninstall everything under the heading USB. Then reboot the PC. Let XP find newhardare and reinstall all the drivers.

You should then see your externald rive working again as long as the drive electronics heads and platters are OK.

trevpow 10:34 01 Oct 06

just did what u said and nope still not working when i connect extra drive all stop,s the drive light,s come on and is trying to work makes small clicking sound

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:39 01 Oct 06

is trying to work makes small clicking sound

not good

can you fit it internally as a slave? and retry to detect it.

manufacturer's diagnostic programs tend not to work well via USB but will work if connected internally.

What make model of external drive?

trevpow 10:41 01 Oct 06

it,s a freecom 120gb drive

Terry Brown 10:46 01 Oct 06

Has the External USB it's own power supply ?, if not you may find that the PSU (Power Supply Unit) is not supplying enough power to run all devices and that is your problem.
Terry

trevpow 10:50 01 Oct 06

yes it as it,s own power supply

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…