Device driver problem

al7478 17:48 25 Mar 07

I've had another stop error. I didnt actually get a blue screen this time, i just had to restart from the tower as i couldnt even refresh the screen as it had gone blank, as i have it set to do after a few minutes.

Below is the result of an error report from microsoft, any suggestions gratefully recieved!

Problem caused by Device Driver

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

More information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem report summary

Problem type
Windows stop error (a message appears on a blue screen with error code information)

Solution available?
No

What does this problem mean?
Windows has encountered a problem it cannot recover from and it needs to be restarted

Cause
Unknown

Computer symptoms
A message appears on a blue screen with error code information (for example: 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)

Additional steps for you to take
Please continue to send problem reports so analysts at Microsoft can study and try to correct the problem as quickly as possible

al7478 18:01 25 Mar 07

I could just call Dell tommorrow, as it's still under warranty (3 years, it's leaa than a year old), but I'm not sure if there's anything they can do...? I have installed various programmes in the last couple of weeks, so maybe one of them is the cause of the problem, but virus scans do'nt show anything.

Totally-braindead 18:53 25 Mar 07

Reinstall the motherboard drivers and the graphics card drivers first and see what happens.

skidzy 18:57 25 Mar 07

If a driver problem i doubt DEll will sort this for free !

Check device manager if problems persist after running the driver and utilities disc as Totally-braindead suggests.

al7478 18:58 25 Mar 07

thankyou both1

al7478 19:43 25 Mar 07

In my naivity(sic) I expected it to be somewhat more straight forward than it appears to be. How does one install the graphics card and mobo drivers?

Stuartli 19:46 25 Mar 07

I would suggest installing the latest versions of the motherboad and graphics card drivers from the manufacturer's websites.

al7478 20:32 25 Mar 07

I THINK I've done that Stuartli. But when i tried to install the graphics driver it told me the 1 I have already is more up to date than the one i tried to install.

I've done so much to it in recent weeks I'm frankly scared to do much. I think i might have to "get a bloke in". Or a woman, i'm not fussy. But having bought this pc so recently, I dont want to part with it. Cant afford to.

skidzy 20:39 25 Mar 07

Have you actually upgraded this Graphics card ?

if you are having all sorts of problems,have you considered a recovery/restore.

If its possible to you,backup all the datas that needs saving and try F11 for a recovery to factory settings-therefore giving you an almost new pc again,though will need updating and reload the programs.
You may be lucky with the os on a hidden partition and and option to repair and save data without corruption.
Though do be aware,none of this would help if its a hardware issue.

When you bought this Dell,did you create the recovery cd ? possibly using Sonic.

al7478 20:56 25 Mar 07

I didnt create a restore cd.

i havent entered the world of backing up with an external hd yet (dont have 1, or acronis yet either - i was going to start doing that in a couple of weeks if my system seemed ok.

where does that leave me? Can i still do a recovery/restore - i can back files and programmes up on a dvd?

is it fairly straight forward to install all necassary updates?

AVG is still showing no problems. Hopefully its just coincidence that ive installed some freeware and got rid of norton lately.

I have actually noticed the system slowing unusually lately, and it is sometimes more noisy.

al7478 20:56 25 Mar 07

i havent upgraded the graphics card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…