"This device cannot find enough free resources"

Paul33 13:31 26 May 07

In order to have a USB2 connection, I've just installed a "PCI 8 Port/Ports USB 2.0/USB2 Firewire/1394 Combo Card" into a PCI slot previously holding 3 Firewire ports card.

Everything appeared to boot up okay but, in Device Manager, I have a lot of yellow exclamation mark warnings !

Next to the IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controller, I have a warning "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)"

This warning also appears next to "VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller".

I then have two PCI Device warnings, each stating "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)". When I try to instal from the CD provided with the card, it eventually errors out with "The Driver Installation for this device is missing a necessary entry. This may be because the INF was written for Windows 95 or later. Contact your hardware vendor".

The PC is a Windows XP machine.

Can anyone help as I need this card working.

brundle 13:36 26 May 07

What motherboard?
Find out with this if you don't know; click here

How many USB and firewire ports do you have in total since fitting the card?

Check your BIOS for IRQ allocation settings (auto or manual), disable onboard hardware you don't use.
click here

Paul33 13:58 26 May 07

Motherboard is an NEC SiS650 1.0.

I have a couple of USB1 ports on the front and it looks like two USB1s and one Firewire on the back PLUS the card I've just installed which has two firewire and four USB2 ports.

I guess the USB1 devices will connect to the USB2 ports so I can happilly lose the USB1s if that is the case ...... but how do I do that ?

brundle 14:15 26 May 07

Press DEL , F2 or F10 when booting (or look for the message saying `press <keyname> to enter Setup` and press it). Go through the menus until you see something headed Integrated Peripherals or something similar, then look for Onboard USB, select Disable if you have the option. It may be different, not very much info about that board turned up from a google search.

Paul33 14:46 26 May 07

That sounds scary !

I've checked the BIOS and nearest I can find is something to do with USB for Legacy Devices which is set to "Primary" ...... nothing else mentions USB.

brundle 14:51 26 May 07

It sounds as though the motherboard is not able to cope with that number of USB/Firewire ports - if you can't disable the onboard ones you might be out of luck. You could try disabling the "VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller" but that is your USB2 device and may knock out the new inputs. Was it in the Device Manager list before you installed the card?
The only way to be sure is to remove the card, start the computer, disable all USB and Firewire entries in Device Manager then shutdown and refit the card.
You may need to experiment as some devices may be required for the PC to see any USB/Firewire peripherals. Try disabling USB Root Hub entries first (with the card removed).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…