Developing problems with video card?

TopCat® 14:49 14 Sep 07

I am starting to get intermittent problems with my Inno3D nVidia 256MB Geforce 7800 GTX video card with the latest drivers. On one occasion at boot up I got one long and three short beeps and then no onscreen display. The card is properly seated, all fans are working and the computer interior has been cleaned out.

The card works fine during normal working but during game play it occasionally crashes back to the desktop. Clicking on the game now running in the taskbar will bring it back onscreen again.

I ran Futuremark's 3DMark05 and the first video scan gave good frame rates (24-37fps) but the second scan dropped down to between 1 and 7 fps. I've not used this software before and am unsure what this all means. The software didn't flag up any warnings.

A PCPitstop scan reported: 'Unusually low video performance - video performance of this system at 107.33 Mp/s is significantly lower than average.'

Any help would be greatly appreciated. TC.

Diemmess 16:22 14 Sep 07

..... Since you have done all the proper checks it seems to me to need a new card.

Heat must be significant due to the delay before the trouble pops up again.
Using the video card harder, seems to accelerate the fault, and you are satisfied that the card fan is 100%?
I am lucky never to have had any component suffer a slow death. Either they behave for me or they just stop.

It only takes one of the thousands of resistors to "go high" or an electrolytic to go open circuit and the rest follows.

Obviously you could try substitution, but it might be better to spend the time choosing a new video card.

TopCat® 17:18 14 Sep 07

In view of what X7-250 posts in his link about the drivers, I think I will revert back and try again. I've just ran a test with nVidia's nTune program and all seems fine. Hopefully it is a driver issue, whereas I was thinking a memory chip could've been on the blink.

I'll give the card a good test out and report back in due course. TC.

citadel 19:07 14 Sep 07

it could be the psu as it crashes whem the card calls for more power during gaming.

TopCat® 22:27 14 Sep 07

Reverted back to previous ones (94.24) and have just finished three hours of intensive game play. Not a hiccup in that time so my problems seem resolved now. Thanks again for the help. TC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…