Determining if AGP slot is 2x, 4x or 8x

Simonoffy 13:33 02 Jul 03

I am interested in buying a new graphics card to replace my existing 3dfx voodoo 3 card. However, I don't want to spend a fortune on a new one but I do not know if my motherboard can take these new 4x and 8x cards.
Is there a simple way to find out?
Or would the card work anyway on an older AGP slot?
I think my motherboard is a Tabor3.
Any ideas?

Jester2K II 14:25 02 Jul 03

If the motherboard is over a year old its probably 4xAGP.

An 8x AGP G Card will work in a 4x AGP Slot at 4x AGP.

AIDA32 will tell you what AGP speed your Mobo is under Motherbaord, Chipset. click here

Tog 14:30 02 Jul 03

click here

Click on the specification link, it says the AGP is x1.

Tog 14:33 02 Jul 03

For a list of the various TABOR3 motherboards with complete part numbers and specs click here

Yo Sammady Sam 14:44 02 Jul 03

That does look like it. Im not at my home pc just now to confirm. If it is AGP 1x, will any 4x AGP cards still work? Or will I have to get a PCI card?

Jester2K II 14:46 02 Jul 03

Theoretically yes. but at AGP x1. However you might have problems with AGP Bus Speeds and Voltages not matching. Then the card will not work esp if the Mobo is really old.

Yo Sammady Sam 14:53 02 Jul 03

The computer was new in 1999. Is there anywhere to find out what the voodoo 3 card was running at eg AGP x1? I only have minimal manuals as that was in the pc when I got it.

Jester2K II 14:57 02 Jul 03

It doesn't really matter what the Voodoo was running at - it won't help you determine the AGP speed of the Mobo.

Also as i said above - you need to watch AGP Buss Speeds and Voltages. Older Mobos will not run newer cards because of the differences.

Really you need to find a shop that will allow you to try cards first or find a mate with a card you can borrow for an hour or so....

Yo Sammady Sam 15:15 02 Jul 03

Ok, thanks everyone for all the info. I think I will have to go and look into the motherboard capabilities and what the newer cards require to see if its worth while upgrading at all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…