Desperate hard drive help needed!

1985Ads 19:49 15 Jan 15

Hi my PC has died and I am trying to rescue the data on the hard drive. I have purchased a 'Dynamode 3.5 external sata hard disk drive enclosure' and have tried to access the data on the hard drive using that.

However, when I go to open the file it won't let me open anything unless I format the hard drive. Obviously I'm not going to format the hard drive otherwise I will lose the data.

I'm at a loss as to what to do.

Please help!!

Thanks

1985Ads 20:08 15 Jan 15

sorry, i'm using a caddy linked to my laptop to recover the data from the PC but its not working!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:43 15 Jan 15

Look in disk management and tell us how the drive is shown - is it shown as RAW.

1985Ads 21:09 15 Jan 15

i can't find disk management anywhere? Windows system is windows 7 on my laptop and the hard-drive was from a windows 7 PC, (slight possibility the PC was XP. It was my sisters computer and she isn't 100% certain but Im pretty sure it was 7)

1985Ads 21:12 15 Jan 15

found disk management. Yes it is shown as RAW

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:13 15 Jan 15

Right click Computer - select manage from the menu - Disk management

1985Ads 21:17 15 Jan 15

it's RAW Fuit Bat

1985Ads 21:19 15 Jan 15

*Fruit sorry lol

1985Ads 22:01 15 Jan 15

ok trying now, back soon

1985Ads 22:15 15 Jan 15

just get the same thing; first message 'you need to format the disk in drive E: before you can use it. do you want to format it?' click cancel then second message 'E:/ is not accessible. The volume does not contain a recognised file system. Please make sure that allrequired file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted'.

robin_x 22:42 15 Jan 15

Lots of Google results mentioning this and RAW.

click here

None seem to have a definitive answer. Some blame caddy/adapter. Some say bad partition table.

• Try another computer

• Set a drive letter for the RAW partition if it doesn't have one

• Try Recuva or other Data Recovery

• TestDisk may work, but it's not very user friendly.

• Minitool Data Recovery may work but free trial is only for 1GB of data

• My idea: If everything else fails, try MiniTool Partition Wizard and run Partition Recovery Wizard with RAW drive highlighted. But I'm not sure if it will have a go, or if it might recover a different historic partition. That's why I say Last Resort.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

What’s happening in VR right now: From psychedelic art to combat therapy

Siri not working? Try these troubleshooting fixes