desktop.html stuck as wallpaper

Ironman556 21:39 03 Mar 05

Hi I'm fixing a PC up for someone. The PC came to me full of as/spyware and viruses (mostly trojans).

I've run an avast boottime scan, and deleted all infected files.

On each of the 4 profiles I then ran hijack this, ccleaner, startpage guard, ad-aware and spybot all in safe mode, and seem to have got functionality of everything back.

I've also deleted any dodgy looking files from C:\Windows, including one called explorer (sitting next to microsoft's explorer?!) and desktop.ini and desktop.html, which seems to have got that working ok again now.

I'm left with one problem that occurs in 2 profiles. Previously an ad popped up saying that "my pc was infected and i should download SlimShield to fix it". That's vanished but has left a grey flashing background. When i click on it and go to properties instead of bringing up the desktop properties it shows me the file properties and shows the location as c:\windows\desktop.html which i've deleted and isn't there. I've tried setting a new wallpaper from the web but had no luck.

Can anyone help me on this?

The alternative would be to delete the profiles and recreate them, but if I can fix it I'd rather do it that way.

Thanks.

Ironman556 21:46 03 Mar 05

running XP home

JonnyTub 21:51 03 Mar 05

not much help but run a registry cleaner as well

Ironman556 21:55 03 Mar 05

Any recommendations? I have every type of cleaning programs except a registry cleaner!

JonnyTub 21:58 03 Mar 05

i use regseeker click here

Ironman556 21:59 03 Mar 05

thanks will give it a go.

JonnyTub 21:59 03 Mar 05

backup before use, although i've never had a problem deleting all it finds

Ironman556 22:09 03 Mar 05

went to control panel --> desktop properties --> customise desktop --> web tab and deleted the file listed there under security.

will post back in a min if the registry program finds anything.

JonnyTub 22:14 03 Mar 05

it will :-)

JonnyTub 22:15 03 Mar 05

and don't be surprised if the count runs into hundreds for a first time scan

Ironman556 23:40 03 Mar 05

500+ and still going, unfortunately havn't been able to sort through them, will give that a go tomorrow.

thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…