Desktop wont boot from fresh install?

Autoschediastic 16:02 PM 22 Aug 11

HIya guys ive just formatted a mates pc with Vista, i had installed the hard drive into my pc as i didnt have a VGA cable and i only had DVI cables spare which are for my pc, so the best thing i did was to take my leads and plug them into my mates hd, everything well perfect but when i put the hard drive back in his pc it seems to boot right upto the point where the windows logo comes on the reboots.?? and it constantly reboots? has anyone got any ideas pls? i was thinking of taking out the CMOS battery for a few mins or cheking the RAM..?

Cheers

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:09 PM 22 Aug 11

i had installed the hard drive into my pcemphasized text

when i put the hard drive back in his pc

It will have installed drivers for your machine and not his, this is why the boot is failing.

Try booting to safemode and uninstalling all drivers.

Reboot and windows may find new hardware and install the correct drivers if not then you will have to reinstall XP while the drive is in the correct PC.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:10 PM 22 Aug 11

"i had installed the hard drive into my pc"

"when i put the hard drive back in his pc"

It will have installed drivers for your machine and not his, this is why the boot is failing.

Try booting to safemode and uninstalling all drivers.

Reboot and windows may find new hardware and install the correct drivers if not then you will have to reinstall XP while the drive is in the correct PC.

Autoschediastic 16:54 PM 22 Aug 11

Fruitbat! oh damn yeah! the obviousness is so clear! Doh...

Yet again uve come to my rescue... il let you know thanks so much Xmas card is on the way :-)

Strawballs 18:41 PM 22 Aug 11

You can get a small adapter for VGA to DVI which I have 2 of.

woodchip 18:54 PM 22 Aug 11

Why not fit the drive back in the correct PC then Do a Repair using the Vista CD

Autoschediastic 20:29 PM 22 Aug 11

Strawballs & Woodchip Thanks guys for your time, Fruitbat had it in one! so ive put the drive back in the tower of my friends and reinstalled the os and it worked a treat yaay

Cheers once again to you all! A

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites