Desktop won't boot up

maddogingo 13:49 21 Jul 05

I have a Systemax desktop running on XP HE which will not boot up soon after shutting down. There's no problem if the machine is left for a few hours or if restarting. Any ideas what the problem might be? Appreciate your help.

woodchip 14:07 21 Jul 05

It's is hardware and not XP that is the Problem. One of two, Could be heat related or a faulty PSU

woodchip 14:08 21 Jul 05

Looking again at your Post, I would go for PSU on it's way out

maddogingo 14:19 21 Jul 05

Thanks ror your prompt diagnosis. I wear L plates I'm afraid so could you tell me what the PSU is, what a new on costs and if a learner could replace it. Many thanks

woodchip 14:26 21 Jul 05

It's the Power supply top back of a Tower computer, With all wires coming out of it. Cheap PSU's are a waste of Money. Intermediate Price range can last if you get big Wattage about 500 or 550watts at a Computer Fair about £25 the heavier they are the better the quality. Four screws at back will hold it in round the fan outlet. What you could do if you want to have a go is, if you have a WinXP full disc not a Restore disc. is put the CD in comp then go to Start\Run type

SFC /SCANNOW press enter, see the space before /

But my money is on the PSU

maddogingo 14:35 21 Jul 05

Many thanks Woodchip. I'll leave the thread live in case anybody else has ideas.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…