Desktop won't boot up

maddogingo 13:49 21 Jul 05

I have a Systemax desktop running on XP HE which will not boot up soon after shutting down. There's no problem if the machine is left for a few hours or if restarting. Any ideas what the problem might be? Appreciate your help.

woodchip 14:07 21 Jul 05

It's is hardware and not XP that is the Problem. One of two, Could be heat related or a faulty PSU

woodchip 14:08 21 Jul 05

Looking again at your Post, I would go for PSU on it's way out

maddogingo 14:19 21 Jul 05

Thanks ror your prompt diagnosis. I wear L plates I'm afraid so could you tell me what the PSU is, what a new on costs and if a learner could replace it. Many thanks

woodchip 14:26 21 Jul 05

It's the Power supply top back of a Tower computer, With all wires coming out of it. Cheap PSU's are a waste of Money. Intermediate Price range can last if you get big Wattage about 500 or 550watts at a Computer Fair about £25 the heavier they are the better the quality. Four screws at back will hold it in round the fan outlet. What you could do if you want to have a go is, if you have a WinXP full disc not a Restore disc. is put the CD in comp then go to Start\Run type

SFC /SCANNOW press enter, see the space before /

But my money is on the PSU

maddogingo 14:35 21 Jul 05

Many thanks Woodchip. I'll leave the thread live in case anybody else has ideas.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…