Desktop will not display

penholder 08:54 AM 09 Apr 13

When I boot my computer everything displays as it should up to and including the XP welcome screen. Then the monitor displays a white screen followed by intermittent flashes of the desktop. So I cannot access my programmes etc. The ASUS m/board has a splash start up which works fine and dispaly is ok. When I close this to access the OS, the above then occurs. Any ideas, anyone?

Chronos the 2nd 09:11 AM 09 Apr 13

You have a graphics card problem. Try in the first instance removing and reseating the graphics card and if possible try another cable.

woodchip 09:37 AM 09 Apr 13

Have you tried starting in safe mode? tapping F8 as its booting. then do a system restore if it gets to Safe Mode

woodchip 09:39 AM 09 Apr 13

PS have you been updating the graphics driver of late? if not you could try updating it

penholder 10:21 AM 09 Apr 13

The mobo (Asus M4A88t-V EVO) has an integrated ATI Radeon 4250 GPU. Will try starting in safe mode.

penholder 10:59 AM 09 Apr 13

Cannot enter safe mode by pressing F8

woodchip 17:33 PM 09 Apr 13

you have to keep tapping f8 after you press start button, or try f5

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:32 PM 09 Apr 13

If it displays ok in safe mode then try uninstalling / reinstalling graphics driver.

penholder 21:24 PM 10 Apr 13

Thanks for your help. Further investigations lead me to belive it to be the White Screen virus which has a variety of names such as the Cheshire Police Virus etc.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:59 PM 10 Apr 13
  penholder 10:50 AM 14 Apr 13

Many thanks. Found this site. Used AVG Rescue procedure by downloading tool to USB and using that. Took a long time to clear completely. Afterwards used Malwarebytes, Spybot and a scan with AVG. Interestingly, virus seemed to be linked to Java, but I may be wrong about this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: When is Black Friday & what are the best tech Black Friday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the animated Christmas ad everyone's tallking about

The 84 best Mac games: Brilliant RPGs, shooting games, adventure games and puzzlers for Mac OS X