Desktop user looking for Laptop for A/V uses,help!

Frosty120 15:23 28 Feb 05

Hi, I'm a desktop user. I am often involved in helping with the audio visual at some Christian Youth meetings. Last time I was unable to borrow a laptop and actually had to take my desktop. So I'm looking at investing in a laptop. I'll need something that has enough power to run several complex power point presentations at the same time and also play DVD's. So I'll need a fair bit of ram. I also need s-vhs out to connect it to the video mixer.
A large hard drive would be nice as I spend most of the summer away from home and would be able to use the laptop. I want something that will last as long as possible, so maybe a 64 bit processor. I've found this one click here which looks amazing, the problem is I don't know a lot about laptops! Will that processor get too hot and melt??? I've borrowed celerons in the past and found that they had terrible problems after a few months. Wont an Athlon XP 3000+ 64 get even hotter? Do I need a special mobile processor??
I'm confused! Especially at the price difference between high spec Tiny and low spec Dell's!!

Gongoozler 15:47 28 Feb 05

Hi Frosty120. I can't help with all your questions, but to keep the thead alive I'll answer a few points.

Running AV presentations and DVD'S isn't very demanding in terms of processing power, but I agree that a lot of RAM will help, so I think you should be loking for at least 512M.

Any well made laptop should have sufficient cooling for continuous running at full processor power.

The main difference between the desktop and mobile versions of processors is that the mobiles are designed to minimise power consumption, and I think one of the ways they do this is by throttling back the clock rate when they aren't busy computing. They do this mainly to get extended battery life. A side benefit of this is that they should also run cooler. If you are using the laptop mostly on mains power, then battery life is less important. Expensive top-end laptops tend to have large batteries which cost a lot of money, so you can make a saving there.

This looks like a useful device to help keep a laptop cooler click here

Frosty120 15:55 08 Mar 05

Thank you for your advice.
I am expecting mainly to be using main power, and that cooling device will certianly be worth looking in to!
The computer I'm looking at is a Tiny laptop. I had a Tiny desktop about a decade ago, lol, 66mhz Pentium S, 4mb of ram, 500mb hard drive, what a machine! I haven't heard much about them recently, especially since they where bought out by Time (who I have heard a lot about, and very little of that has been good).
Does anyone know anything about this?
Does anyone have one of these laptops?
I appreciate feedback.

Frosty120 22:26 21 Jun 05

I've jst got a HP Pavilion from Tiny at a pretty good price.
Has an AMD mobile 64 bit 3000 processor, a gigabyte of RAM and 64meg Nvida graphics.
The Hard drive is a little small at 60gig, but It should be ok seeing as I'll still mainly be using my desktop.
Battery Life seems to be pretty good too, I'm very impressed with this so far.
Also, the computer seems to indeed run very cool, which was one of my main concerns, thanks for setting my mind at ease :-)
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…