desktop shortcuts for recycle bin, my computer etc

Newuser339 19:13 23 Jun 03

When i try to access my windows xp desktop shortcuts such as 'recycle bin','my computer'etc open then close after 5 seconds refreshing the desktop. This seemed to cooincide with installing AOL8 over the top of AOL7 but this could be a cooincidence.My other programmes like 'Internet explorer', 'office xp' start up fine from their desktop shortcut - I also occasionally get the message .... 'an unknown error occurred while accessing c:\programme files\sqwire\419172\p.dat'
Anyone with any ideas on how to rectify this will be forever in my debt - the only alternative is to reformat my hard disk and reinstall everything!

DieSse 22:06 23 Jun 03

sqwire - is it this? click here

If so I suggest you uninstall it if you didn't mean to install it in the first place. You never know, this may be what's screwing up the other things.

Newuser339 07:13 24 Jun 03

Many thanks - uninstalling 'SQWIRE' an unwanted and unasked for programme has solved my problem. I suppose the moral of the story is 'beware of programmes that install themselves on the internet'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Acer Predator Triton 700 review

D&AD Awards 2017: see the best design, advertising, illustration, animation and VR of the past year

How to lose weight with an Apple Watch