desktop shortcuts for recycle bin, my computer etc

Newuser339 19:13 23 Jun 03

When i try to access my windows xp desktop shortcuts such as 'recycle bin','my computer'etc open then close after 5 seconds refreshing the desktop. This seemed to cooincide with installing AOL8 over the top of AOL7 but this could be a cooincidence.My other programmes like 'Internet explorer', 'office xp' start up fine from their desktop shortcut - I also occasionally get the message .... 'an unknown error occurred while accessing c:\programme files\sqwire\419172\p.dat'
Anyone with any ideas on how to rectify this will be forever in my debt - the only alternative is to reformat my hard disk and reinstall everything!

DieSse 22:06 23 Jun 03

sqwire - is it this? click here

If so I suggest you uninstall it if you didn't mean to install it in the first place. You never know, this may be what's screwing up the other things.

Newuser339 07:13 24 Jun 03

Many thanks - uninstalling 'SQWIRE' an unwanted and unasked for programme has solved my problem. I suppose the moral of the story is 'beware of programmes that install themselves on the internet'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…