//some 3rd party need geo

Desktop shortcuts to Foppy etc. not working

Faser 16:16 12 Feb 04

Last year Microsoft security updates included 821557 which had the side affect of preventing the use of shortcuts to any of the drives from the desktop in Windows XP.

I avoided downloading it until I changed the hard drive recently and to save time downloaded Update rollup 826939, which included the dreaded 821557.

Microsoft do not seem to have a fix for this, has anyone found a workaround yet?

LeadingMNMs 16:33 12 Feb 04

I can create shortcuts to the drives no problem. Just go into My Computer, Right Click on the drive and select Create Shortcut. It will give a message that says Cannot create shortcut here, would you like it placed on the desktop, so click yes. A working shortcut appears on the desktop.

Works for me, so I assume it'll work for you.

JIM 16:43 12 Feb 04

826939 hotfix can be uninstalled via the add/remove programs though i find no problems with it. You may be able to then install Individual files from.

click here

Faser 23:22 12 Feb 04

Thanks for the suggestions.

826939 (MS03-027) contains at least 22 hotfixes I would have to manually download the remaining ones I need. Also by removing it there is a slight risk of damaging programs.

The problem is not the creating I have tried all ways to make the shortcuts. All work however they are blocked from conecting to the selected drive by the hotfix.

This is a known problem from last year, it seems to only affect Win XP and SP1. I thought by now a solution would be found either by Microsoft or an end user.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…