desktop shortcuts don't work

profi 00:19 26 Aug 06

I have a new Dell 5150c running Windows XP. I cannot set up desktop shortcuts, or rather I can set them up but when I try to connect to the .exe file, etc I receive the error message "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

I am the only user.

igk 00:59 26 Aug 06

I take it you have admin privilages?
do a properties on each shortcut and see the "start in" and "Target" these you can alter if they are incorect by browsing to the exe concerned on your pc also check your "set programme access and defaults" to see if anything wrong there.HTH...

profi 01:08 26 Aug 06

1. Yes.
2. Seems okay.

I can open the progs through My Computer, Programs, etc and also through Start, All Programs. However when I right click the prog (or .exe file) create a shortcut, and drag it to the desktop - up pops the error message!

Eric10 10:37 26 Aug 06

Have you tried right-clicking the .exe and choosing Send To, Desktop (create shortcut). This should create the shortcut directly on your desktop.

profi 11:39 26 Aug 06

Just tried this, but got the same results.

Diodorus Siculus 11:41 26 Aug 06

Annoyances.org - Download TweakUI and choose the repair icons option
click here

profi 12:10 26 Aug 06

Sadly, no change.

VoG II 12:14 26 Aug 06

Try repairing the file association for LNK files click here

profi 12:34 26 Aug 06

Still the same, I'm afraid

VoG II 12:44 26 Aug 06

click here - DO NOT click on View Solution or you'll be asked to subscribe. Just scroll down to see suggested fixes.

profi 15:59 26 Aug 06

Looks like someone wasn't to thrilled by my by-passing the subscription, and has removed the information.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…