Desktop Shortcuts Don't Work

dregn 07:29 29 Aug 05

I am having a problem with shortcuts on the desktop not opening programs and system freezes. I am running WinXP Pro ( SP2)
Frequently, I get no response to clicking on program icons followed by the mouse pointer freezing for 10 seconds at a time. Often, I am unable to bring up Task Manager ( ctrl/alt/del) nor am I able to bring up START/shutdown the computer. When things are reasonably normal I have been able to scan for viruses ( the system is OK )
I am having to press the power button, wait a few seconds and press it again to reboot. The symptoms recur.
I have defragged the drives ( using Norton Speed disk ) and run diagnostic programs to no avail.
The machine is highly specified and built a few months ago.I have 1GB RAM installed. All has been well up to about a week ago.
Any ideas much appreciated.

Diodorus Siculus 07:45 29 Aug 05

Try the system file checker

start

run

sfc /scannow

click here
scannow sfc - LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article!

Diodorus Siculus 07:51 29 Aug 05

Try the system file checker

start

run

sfc /scannow

click here
scannow sfc - LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article!

jack 14:08 29 Aug 05

As a quick test
select a shortcut of your choice.
find the originial drive/program.
right click and make a new short cut
the drive will go to screen desk top automaticaly
A program one will have to be sent there.
Go to screen and click on the new desktop icon
will be called 'icon2 '
Does it work?
If so make your self new set and delete the old 'uns -I think they get worn out/corupted in time.

VoG II 14:16 29 Aug 05

Or try repairing the file association for LNK files click here

dregn 07:31 30 Aug 05

Thanks, everyone.
I followed your suggestions and worked through the 'scannow procedure'/shortcut tests and now things are back to normal.
Many thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…