Desktop shortcut wanted

Chris the Ancient 16:37 12 Jan 07

like many of my queries these days... not earth-shattering or vital.

My most common place to go in 'My Network Places' is 'View workgroup computers'.

My life would be so much easier (and lazier) if I could have a single icon on my desktop that would call up that page in isolation.

Any ideas?

I'm out at work (again) until this evening and will come back to millions of suggestions then ;o)

CtA

johndrew 17:00 12 Jan 07

Can you not right click `Network Connections` and create a shortcut then drag this to your desktop and rename it?

Woolwell 18:06 12 Jan 07

Don't think that johndrew's solution will work as you cannot right click on View workgroup computers. You can add "My Network Places" as a shortcut by right clicking on the desktop and then on desktop tab and customize desktop selecting my network places.

Chris the Ancient 19:26 12 Jan 07

johndrew...

As Woolwell says, one can't do that, there is no right click available on that link.

Woolwell...

Yup, I could have the My Network Places as a shortcut on the desktop, but it's really the View Workgroup Computers I wanted to have - just so I can be lazy and bypass the intermediate stage of going through My Network Places. See... I said I was being lazy!

CtA

SANTOS7 19:39 12 Jan 07

Double click My Network Places. Read a good book or two while you wait for it to open. When it finally opens, click View workgroup computers, then drag and drop each of the other computers to a spot on the Windows desktop. XP will create a shortcut to each of them.

text taken from link hope it helps.
click here

Chris the Ancient 21:12 12 Jan 07

Good link!

But, I've gone for your idea. Many thanks.

CtA

Greengage 11:09 13 Jan 07

Open My Computer. In line of headings under toolbar, click Folders. Then click the + against My Network Place, then the + against Entire Network and then single click Microsoft Windows Network. Our Network will open in the right hand pane from which you can create a shortcut on desktop.

Chris the Ancient 16:20 13 Jan 07

Neat solution!

I now also have that one on my desktop, plus the one from SANTOS7 so that I can either browse the whole network, od go straight to my laptop.

TVM

CtA

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…