Desktop settings

besuk 12:04 20 Jan 03
  besuk 12:04 20 Jan 03

Hello everyone !
I have an E-machine that runs WMe.
When I started it this morning, my desktop settings had gone to "16 color display", 640 x 480 pixels res, and I have no mouse !
It looks very much like running the machine in Safe mode, although nothing tells you that when you start it.
I have tried a selective startup, run a thorough scan disk (which misteriously stopped halfway throug), a Norton Antivirus scan of the hard drive, all of this to no avail.
I have also tried to manually rectify the desktop settings but without success (I change them and I restart themachine when prompted to do so, but when it starts again it is exactly as before).
Is there any kind soul out there with some suggestion for this poor computer rookie ?
Thank you.

woodchip 12:32 20 Jan 03

You have prob loaded software that as changed or created a new Win.ini or System.ini file go to Explorer\Windows and look for Win.bak or System.bak file have a look at the date you can change the files back by just renaming them. I think it will be the System.ini you need to change so the System.ini should be renamed to System.old and the System.bak needs to be System.ini

besuk 18:11 20 Jan 03

Thank you very much woodchip for your reply to my cry for help !
It was exactly what you suggested !
I can't figure out though how the system.ini file has become corrupted: I am sure I haven't installed any new software recently. I only hope I haven't caught a virus !
Anyway, problem solved, thanks to you.

Cheers

besuk

woodchip 19:21 20 Jan 03

Glad to see it sorted it and you ticked the box Thank's Woodchip

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…