Desktop problems :(

Nonnyriley 15:21 01 Jun 03

ok, I'm at a friends house working on his computer and after repairing many errors and removing old files etc, I restarted to perform the disk check (he is using xp). But after doing so I now have a problem with the desktop. For some reason there's a grey bar on the left of the screen which I can't get rid of. It's the same one which appears when viewing folders and shows folder tasks and links to other places. Also, I can't change the background to anything else. Anyone know how to repair this?

I'm pretty sure repairing an error has left more problems in the registry. Anyone know?

peterfry 15:45 01 Jun 03

use the moderator thingy

Nonnyriley 15:53 01 Jun 03

sorry whats the moderator thing?

I haev searched but can't find anything to do with my problem.

Nonnyriley 16:09 01 Jun 03

click here is a link to the picture

Gaz 25 16:09 01 Jun 03

Strange problem!

When you change the background, what exactly happens, does it just not change.

Try restarting, it could be a graphics problem.

Update your graphics card from the internet.

If this doesnt work, I dont know what to suggest other than a XP repair.

Nonnyriley 16:12 01 Jun 03

each time I change background it just changes into the xp one again. Even if its an xp default background or one of my own. I'll try restarting.

Gaz 25 16:21 01 Jun 03

Ohhhh
Looks a strange one.
Very odd, I have never seen that before.

I say a repair and then a reformat if nothing else works, but backup all files that are important beforehand.

Good luck.

And the instructions to do a repair are:

Start the operating system from the CD-ROM, by putting in the disc and restarting, if it does not select first boot device to CD-ROM, this will then bring up the following....

When the computer starts from the CD, the system checks your hardware and then prompts you to select one of the following options:

To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press ENTER.

Press F8 to accept the Licensing Agreement.

A box lists your current Windows XP installation, and then the system prompts you to select one of the following options:

To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R.

To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press ESC.

Press R to start the automatic repair process. After repairing Windows XP, you need to download the updates again.

Regards,
Gareth

Gaz 25 16:33 01 Jun 03

I think Peterfry means contact the moderator, which is basically if you want to report a message, dont quite know what he means, maybe ask the moderator to see if he knows how to solve it.

Gaz 25 16:39 01 Jun 03

Have you tried antivirus?

Some viruses cause such problems too.

DieSse 16:49 01 Jun 03

"maybe ask the moderator to see if he knows how to solve it."

This is not the way to use the forum - I'm sure the FE will contibute if he wishes - contacting hime direct should be reserved for administrative issues with the forum.

Nonneyriley - your link to see what's happening doesn't work for me.

Gaz 25 16:56 01 Jun 03

But I dont quite understand what Peterfry was on about I just thought that is what he meant.

The link works for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…