desktop problem? (I think!!)

christmascracker 09:46 30 Sep 03

I've been having this problem for a while now and cant for the life of me figure out why.

Have checked on google, microsoft and the search here but cant find anything

I can be working away quite happily when everything disapears from the desktop -icons and the task bar- just leaving the blank desktop picture.

After a few seconds it all comes back.

In the event viewer it is logged in application source winlogon and the error message is "the shell stopped unexpectedly and explorer.exe was restarted"

It happens once a day or maybe every two days and isn't when using a specific program.

I havn't made any changes that I can think of that would have started this.

It's really bugging me as to what it is so if anyone can enlighten me I would be very grateful

Sheila

Chris the Ancient 10:14 30 Sep 03

Is it a dodgy cable? Or is it a dodgy graphics card?

This could blank the picture for a while. Whether there is a way that can be fed back to the pc to say that there is a display fault, I'm not 100% sure. But the pc can detect what sort of monitor/graphics you're using. This feedback might give a funny signal that makes the thing hang and need to restart explorer.

A good, but gentle, wiggle of the monitor cable plug on the bag of the pc might help show the fault up.

Chris

QuickHare 10:21 30 Sep 03

It sounds more like Explorer is being forced to close, and then the memory-resident programs around it are reloading it.

The cause of this could be a new program that was installed making waves. However, you have not changed the computer, so it can't be that.

The only other way a program can get on your computer is through virus activity, or a macro in a Word document.

If I were you, update your virus checker with the latest definitions and then do a thorough virus scan of the computer.

QuickHare

christmascracker 10:28 30 Sep 03

Chris the Ancient

I have onboard graphics. The screen doesn't go blank just the icons and taskbar disapear. I'll give the cable a wiggle anyway - anything is worth a try

QuickHare

I always keep AV up to date and did virus scan yesterday.

Please keep sugestions coming as this is really starting to annoy me especially the not knowing what is causing it

MAJ 10:35 30 Sep 03

I'm not saying that the title on this page click here is the problem that you're having, christmascracker, but look in the Resolution section further down the page and see if you have those programs or those files installed, which might cause the problem. Have you said which OS you're using, yet, maybe I've missed it?

QuickHare 10:36 30 Sep 03

Okay, I'll try this one:

Maybe Explorer is shutting down unexpectedly by itself.

Go to Start -> Run... and type "SFC" and enter. let the program work. If this doesn't solve the errror, do the following (If confident enough)...

Try rebooting to DOS using a start-up disk. Rename C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE to something different and pop your Windows CD into the CD drive. Then reinstall Windows.

Only attempt this if you have a Windows CD as if you don't, things can get messy!

Type in "REN C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE EXPLORER.OLD" to rename Explorer to something else, and type "D:" followed by "CD WIN95" (or WIN98 or WINNT or WIN9x if it doesn't work) and type "SETUP". Press enter after each command.

This will reinstall Windows, keeping all settings and replacing Explorer.

QuickHare

Chris the Ancient 10:39 30 Sep 03

Didn't realise that the wallpaper stayed there. Thought it all went black!

Collapse of my idea!

christmascracker 10:46 30 Sep 03

QuickHare

Already tried sfc everything ok there. I havn't a clue about starting in DOS

MAJ

Sorry XP
Just having a look at that page -symptoms are the same but havn't got those progs or files

Sheila

MAJ 11:25 30 Sep 03

This, click here looks close to the same as your problem, christmascracker, hope it helps a little.

christmascracker 11:32 30 Sep 03

Thank you I'll work through it all and let you know how I get on

marsdenboy 11:35 30 Sep 03

this sounds similar to my problem- see shutdown problem thread.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…