Desktop problem - help!

Skinn 22:13 11 Dec 04

I started up my PC last Sunday only to find it was operating in Safe Mode. Following someones instructions,I restored it and it seemed to be operating properly but I could not connect to the internet. I got it looked at and was told the modem wasn't working and that would have caused it to operate in Safe Mode. They replaced the Modem but I am having the following problems:

1) It will only dial up if I lift and replace the telephone receiver as it is dialling.
2) I cannot access secure sites.
3) It normally goes into "Active Desktop Recovery Mode" when starting up
4) It wont shut down without a window coming up which i cannot remember the content of but with something like these 3 options : wait so many seconds, end task, cancel. it then says "this has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down" so I click OK but it comes up again and again and then I have to end up resetting it and then shutting it down.
5) I cannot use certain programmes such as Greetings workshop- the screen keeps freezing.
6) It will not recognise installed software such as Roxio easy CD creator.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Skinn

kev.Ifty 00:10 12 Dec 04

If nothing else, at least this acts as a bump!

Try running crapcleaner click here

Uninstall the programs that you have problems with.

Defrag your hard drive. Then try reinstalling one program at a time.

You may already know, you can click START/RUN and type msconfig click OK then in the new window click on the STARTUP tab. This will give you a list of programs which are run on Start up. You may be able to spot a cause there.

Also.... Can you retrive your internet connection by inserting the ISP's disc and following the onscreen menu? This can sometimes fix connection problems.

Kev.

Gongoozler 10:14 12 Dec 04

You don't tell us much about your computer, even what version of Windows you have, however when a computer starts in Safe Mode it is almost always a driver problem but is often software trying to load at startup.

First thing to try is using the suggection from kev.Ifty, click Start - Run. Type in msconfig and click OK. Click the Startup tab and remove the tick from any suspicious programs, then OK out of the windows. If you can get the computer to start like this, see if you can identify which item was the problem.

If you don't have any luck this way, post back with more details of your computer and we'll see what other advice we can give. Be prepared, however for a reformat and reinstallation if no other solution can be found.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…