Desktop Problem

Phoenix40 15:27 03 Aug 10

Hello i have a Packard Bell tower computer with Wins Vista installed. Recently i had a few virus alarms which i thought my AVG might have cleared. Im not sure if the alarms are related but now when i go into my software or watch films like iplayer. When i go back to my desktop i seem to be unable to click on any of my icons on the desktop it seems to have freezed up. I am still able to start up software from the Startup Menu. I have done a spyalarm check to clear anything but the problem still comes back. I did have some sort of error message on my desktop a few days ago but it meant nothing to me at the time until this problem started. I dont get the message now. The problem clears when i restart my computer again. Hope someone can help thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:35 03 Aug 10

Spyalarm? never heard of it

I suggest you use a decent spyware checker like malwarebytes free click here

if all clear also try repairing vista by

search - type sfc/scannow - OK
let the system run an check for missing corrupt system files and replace as required.

Retry on completion.

Phoenix40 16:58 03 Aug 10

Hello thank you for your reply i already have the Maleware as well but wasnt sure which to use. Also i tried to look for the sfc/scannow. But when i tried to search for it it shows it on the list under programs but when i click on it it just briefly flashes up on the desktop screen then disappears. So i cant seem to get hold of it. Is there any other way i can trace it if its in programs, does it come under anything else? For now i will try the Maleware and see what happens. Hope to hear from someone soon thanks.

birdface 17:17 03 Aug 10

You have to go to run,Then Type in sfc /scannow a little space between the sfc and forward slash or it will not work.

rawprawn 17:18 03 Aug 10

In Programs find Command Prompt, Right Click on it and choose "Run as administrator" then at the prompt type sfc /scannow and the hit Enter.

Woolwell 17:31 03 Aug 10

Vista - In search box type cmd then when cmd.exe appears (usually at the top of the list) right click and follow remainder of rawprawn's post.

Phoenix40 20:26 03 Aug 10

Hello thank you for your help. I finally worked it out with your advice and so far there seems to be no problems showing up either with the Malware or the CMD scannow application. So i dont know if theres anything else i can trace it to. Hope for any ideas thanks.

Phoenix40 20:29 03 Aug 10

Hello one idea i have it started after i installed the latest email service from my IP at Virginmedia where i had to transfer my Outlook account over to Virginmedia so i dont know if thats caused any conflict with my desktop. I just thought this might help anyone thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac