desktop pc and x box live?

redsusan 18:26 24 Aug 10

I'm pretty sure it is possible to use the PC (vista) to go online and at the same time use the x box live . the PC is wired with virgin Internet and at the moment when I want to use the PC my son has to get of his x box as i take the Ethernet cable out to use each one. so is there a switch of some sort that will enable me to use both at he same time,
Thanks

mgmcc 20:38 24 Aug 10

Presumably you have Virgin's "Cable" broadband service and connect the PC or Xbox to the supplied Cable Modem by ethernet cable?

If so, you have two options:

1) Connect a "Cable/DSL Router" by ethernet cable to the Modem and then connect both PC and Xbox to the Router.

2) This requires that the PC has *two* network adapters installed. Connect one network adapter to the Modem as at present. Connect the second network adapter with a *CROSSOVER* ethernet cable to the Xbox and then enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the actual internet connection (modem connection), which is the first network adapter. The Xbox will then also have internet access as long as the PC is running and online.

The reason that you cannot use a simple switch for simultaneous internet access is that the ISP (Virgin) only allocates one IP address and every computer on the internet must have a unique IP address. With a "Router", it gets the single IP address and in turn allocates IP addresses to the connected computers using one of the address ranges reserved for Local Area Networks. It then "routes" the internet traffic to the relevant computer in the local network. With Internet Connection Sharing, the Host PC actually functions as a "router" and allocates a LAN IP address to the Client device (Xbox).

redsusan 22:33 24 Aug 10

D-Link DIR-615 Wireless N 300 Router

thank you for replying. would this do what i want.

mgmcc 10:28 25 Aug 10

The DIR-615 is what I use with Virginmedia and I've been very pleased with it. It will do exactly what you want.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…