Desktop PC won't boot up (Dell)

johnpalmer 06:25 23 Apr 09

Last Sunday, my PC failed (after 5 years faultless service) to boot up.

The BIOS screen told me that the Windows root>\system32 hal.dll. file was missing or corrupted, and please re-install.

I have tried to boot up with the Dell CD, and get as far as loading the drivers, and then I either get a message saying can't find CD drive, or when I go to the repair facility, and enter "fixmbr" nothing happens.

Can anyone help, as I have so much to data I can't afford to lose.

Thanks

mgmcc 08:55 23 Apr 09

If it were me, and the data was TOO IMPORTANT TO LOSE, I would take the drive out and replace it with a new drive, load Windows on to the new drive and then install the old drive either as a 'slave" drive in the PC or in an external USB enclosure to retrieve the data. "Hal.dll" problems can be notoriously difficult to resolve without reinstalling Windows.

By going down the external USB enclosure route, you could then use the additional hard drive as a permanent backup solution for important data.

alexartox 06:02 01 May 09

You may need to use another PC to backup your data and do a full re-installation.

I would recommend Acronis True Image for your drive backup, but that's when your computer is healthy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced