Desktop PC restarting self

NChick 21:45 12 Oct 09

My desktop is in a loop.

I was Firefoxing and it hung. Nothing unusual about that lately (Firefox seems to be getting less and less stable).

Pressed restart button on the front of the machine and I get the "choose which option you want to start Windows" screen - Safe Mode, Networking with command prompt, etc etc. No matter what I choose, it tries to carry out the task but gets no further than a blank screen past the one with the options on it... then it restarts itself and goes back to POST. This just goes on, over and over.

I can't afford to go have it fixed (I've got two quotes, one is slightly more reasonable than the other), so the question is this... what's wrong, and how do I fix it? I have another machine I should be able to put the Windows HDD in, if necessary.

birdface 21:54 12 Oct 09

Have you tried starting in safe mode just keep tapping F8 as the computer starts and if it works try system restore.

NChick 21:56 12 Oct 09

All tapping F8 does is get me that choices screen.

I've selected Safe mode from there. Same thing happens.

birdface 22:00 12 Oct 09

Also make sure that all of the air vents are clear of dust and fluff.if so inside will also need cleaning out.
if you still have the XP disc you can do a system repair.

NChick 22:03 12 Oct 09

Well, it's pretty dusty, but it's been worse before and this hasn't happened.

As for the XP disc? I think it was lost in the move (been at current address for just over a year and still haven't found it).

NChick 21:13 13 Dec 09

Well, this issue isn't solved exactly ( click here ), but your advice was sound. Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…