Desktop Pc Battery Goes Flat Quickly

Glyn-252301 16:14 23 Aug 05

am trying to solve a problem for a friend. He has a K7S5A Mobo and a Duron 1300, running Win98SE. The problem is that the Cmos battery runs out every few weeks leaving him with a virtually useless PC until he renews bat. and gets me to reset his Bios. I have flashed his bios with the latest update but has not helped the problem. What could be draining his batteries
so quickly? I have examined the Bat. socket and can find nothing wrong.

Strawballs 16:25 23 Aug 05

Sounds to me that the board is shorting out the battery

Glyn-252301 16:48 23 Aug 05

Do you know of a workaround for such a fault.

I have found with circuit tester that there is a curcuit from the negative point on Bat holder to the case and I do not know if this is normal.

Strawballs 16:51 23 Aug 05

I'm affraid you will have to waite for the more electrically qualified to answer that one sorry.

Glyn-252301 16:55 23 Aug 05

Thanks for your response Strawballs.

Stuartli 17:14 23 Aug 05
  DieSse 17:22 23 Aug 05

Since the earth plane of the motherboard should connect to the case - and the -ve battery terminal will also be connected to the earth plane otherwise the battery voltage would be floating) - then you would expect there to be a short (connection) between the case and the battery -ve terminal.

Glyn-252301 17:26 23 Aug 05

Thanks for that Stuartli,
The "A rare fault can be the CMOS re-charge circuit on the mother board" sounds interesting. My friend has a pile of almost dead batteries and
although they are cheap enough he wants me to find a cure. Might be a new Mobo.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:33 23 Aug 05

Have same board batteries been in for 5 years and is still ok.

Therefore you have a problem with the board something is dragging down battery voltage or a bad set batteries with expired shelf life.

CMOS Battery
click here

Glyn-252301 17:36 23 Aug 05

Thanks DieSse, so it is normal, then it sounds like a new motherboard unless some bright spark knows different. I have to go out for the evening
so will check back about 10 pm ish.
Thanks for the responses.

zarobian 18:53 23 Aug 05

Remove the battery and check the positive terminal on MOBO to case. If short circuit to case is established, you have to remove the mother board and check the insulation. There will be some plastic washers supplied for insulating the mobo.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…