Desktop or mini PC?

tentails 10:40 06 Apr 14

Hi all

I have recently bought a new TV and my old PC does not have an HDMI slot. Therefore i am looking to upgrade. I mostly use my PC to watch movies, sports and listen to music.

The mini PC i have been looking at is the Zotac Zbox Id18. What i would like some advice on is would it be better to buy this mini PC or buy another desktop? I have looked at some desktop models in the same price range, with my limited knowledge i have found that some have faster performance and bigger memory for the same price.

Which option do you think is the best?

wee eddie 23:23 06 Apr 14

It always costs money to reduce the size of anything. With computers, the premium is between 30 & 50%.

The Zotac is a very neat piece of kit but, as you say, you can get the same spec, in a bigger case, for about half the price

rdave13 23:30 06 Apr 14

You could also bung in a cheapo graphics card, which has a HDMI output connection, in your PC, if the mobo has an PCI-E socket. An even cheaper solution.

wee eddie 23:33 06 Apr 14

It always costs money to reduce the size of anything. With computers, the premium is between 30 & 50%.

The Zotac is a very neat piece of kit but, as you say, you can get the same spec, in a bigger case, for about half the price

tentails 17:11 08 Apr 14

tentails 17:26 08 Apr 14

Thanks.

Like I say, it's to use in conjunction with my tv. I've been using the pc through my telly for years with a VGA. Now I've got a HD tv and it has no VGA, not that I'm bothered anyway because obviously I want to make the most of the tv.

So... I really need some help boost my general understanding of the innards of a pc, of what I need, and what I can get.

For example, I'm looking for a pc with a hdmi output... which seems to be no easy task. Why is this? If graphics cards with this connection are cheap, how come they don't come as standard on some cheap pcs you find on ebay etc?

And as far as playback of hd content, what kind of spec pc do I need and what is the cheapest I could get one for?

I am willing to buy a graphics card or do some basic building. I just need some pointers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…