desktop not wireless enabled. what router do I nee

tobdaisy 11:45 10 Mar 07

I have a broadband connection through a modem on my desk top. I have now got a laptop. To use both on internet, I need a router-wireless for laptop and wired for desk top. What can anyone suggest? Also, how would I be able to access the internet on my laptop when I am away from home?
Gladys

PalaeoBill 12:08 10 Mar 07

Gladys
There are many wireless routers that will do what you want:
click here
and sites that will give beginners instructions.
click here

Questions:
Is your broadband connection Cable or DSL?
Does your modem plug into your desk top via a USB connector only?
Does your PC have an ethernet (RJ45) network card in it?

The answers to these will determine what you need to buy.

PalaeoBill 12:15 10 Mar 07

When you are away from home, you can usually get wireless access free in coffee shops like Starbucks and some major stores. Hotels usually have internet access at a price. If you are staying with friends you can just connect to their wireless networks.

You can also use dialup if your laptop has a modem. Just set up a pay as you go dial up account before you go away (virgin, tiscali and freeola all provide this kind of service).

There are also many internet cafes so you could leave your laptop at home and just use a webmail account while you are away instead.

tobdaisy 16:44 10 Mar 07

It's DSL connection and via USB. I don't think I have an ethernet connection. Thanks anyway. I have been told that I have to have a 3G card for when I am away. Is that correct?

PalaeoBill 17:01 10 Mar 07

You need a router with an ADSL modem in it then. There are a number of options. This is cheap:
click here
This, the Netgear DG834G is a little dearer, but very popular and its the one I use:
click here

If your desktop PC is without an ethernet card you can get usb wireless devices that could just plug in. You can also get wired USB ethernet adaptors.
click here

But your best option (best speed) would be to buy a PCI network card to plug into your desktop PC's motherboard. Something like this:
click here
I am sure if you shop around you will get a better price than this.

A 3G card will work fine in your laptop but I don't think you really need such an option. It can be a very expensive way of surfing. I think you should consider this very carefully and do some sums before buying one. I get by just fine with the onboard wireless adaptor. I have always managed to find a suitable access point.

Strawballs 09:51 11 Mar 07

click here Network cards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5